Infection Control Specialist is a trained professional that participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of the multidisciplinary Infection Control Program. Serves as resource person to all hospital staff, both administrative, clinical and support staff in the areas of Infection Control
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Ensures through his actions, either directly or indirectly, that a superior quality of medical treatment, compassion and understanding is given to every patient served at the NMC Hospitals and Clinics.
· Conducts regular rounds in all hospital departments to discuss, monitor and follow the infection control practices with hospital staff.
· Collects data on nosocomial infections from all hospital departments and maintains records for each case.
· Conducts continuous surveillance to detect the source of infection for prevention purposes.
· Assists in taking regular swabs of high risk areas of the hospital.
· Follows and investigates the incidences of nosocomial infections, generates reports and forwards copy of the reports to the Infection Control Supervisor & Chief of Medical Staff.
· Implements educational programs to provide staff with knowledge and skills regarding infection control practices and preventive measures to provide a safe environment for clients and employees.
· Participates and assists in the organization of regularly scheduled hospital Infection Control Committee meetings.
· Reports any hindrances to implement the infection control practices.
· Collaborates with CSSD staff in all matters related to sterilization and infection control practices.
· Ensures the staffs are free from infectious disease.
· Participates in continuous quality improvement initiatives, in-service education programs and unit meetings as assigned.
· Initiates emergency, safety practices and fire safety measures as necessary.
· Assists in conducting training sessions to ensure constant implementation of infection control practices.
· Maintains compliance with Saudi Arabian standards and regulating bodies such as JCI & CBAHI; promotes best practices.
· Assists with licensing/accreditation survey preparation as requested
· Recommends and evaluates procedures/policies related to infection control within the hospital.
· Responsible to educate patients /families as per their needs and to implement their whole role regarding patient / family education process as mention in patient & family education policy and procedure including documentation in patient medical record.
· They are knowledgeable about their essential role in patient and family education.
- Involves the patient/families in plan of care and respects patients/families regarding their goals and choices of patient care.
- Provides health promotion and health teaching thru methods appropriate to a patients’ developmental level, learning needs, readiness and ability to learn, language preference, culture and situations.
- Allots time necessary to assess, plan implement and evaluate patient education provided to patients/families with appropriate documentation.
· Performs other applicable tasks and duties assigned within the realm of his/her knowledge, skills and abilities.
Education, Qualification and Trainings
· Diploma or Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing
· Preference to be given to the nursing staff with specialty training/education in infection control
· Infection control classification.
- At least 3 years in infection control.
- Fluency in verbal and written English.
- Exhibits professional and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Management knowledge and skills.
- Working knowledge of computer systems.
- Updated knowledge of policies, procedures and regulations regarding infection control at both national and international level
- Knowledge of supervisory principles and practices
- Thorough knowledge of national and international rules, regulations and procedures pertaining to infection control.
- Ability to work well with and within multi-disciplinary teams.