Consultant General Pediatrician-Neonatologist is responsible for attending ambulatory and hospitalized Pediatric patients including cases of all degrees complexity, according to approved standards of medicine. This embraces the medical standards required in such fields as infectious diseases, cardiology, gastroenterology, central nervous system, hematology, endocrinology and other fields of pediatrics and neonatology Consultant is responsible for providing care for his/her patients (inpatient and outpatient) maintaining a high level of professional performance in accordance with:
- Professional medical ethics and CBAHI / JCIA standards.
- Hospital medical by-laws.
- Laws of Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and any other applicable
regulations according to the departmental quality plan.
To provide specialized services to patients for the diagnosis and management of diseases which falls under the specialty.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensures through his/her actions, either directly or indirectly, that a superior quality of medical treatment, compassion and understanding is given to every patient served at the Riyadh Care Hospital.
- Provides patient care within the parameters of their professional competence as reflected in the scope of their clinical privileges for both in-patients and out-patients.
- Practices within the framework of clinically relevant and scientifically valid standards, guidelines and criteria.
- Conducts daily ward rounds of the patients, newborn in Nursery, NICU, IMCU, Labor and Delivery to formulate a multi disciplinary treatment plan.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures on his/her patients within the range of the specialty.
- Assessment and referral of appropriate patients under his/her medical care to other appropriate medical facilities as well as accepting referrals of patients with medical problems in his/her field of specialty.
- Serves as Neonatology consultant to Surgery and Ob/Gyne to in and out patients as assigned an/or required.
- Provides in-patient care to the newborn and attends difficult delivery or cesarean deliveries as necessary.
- Serves as a specialist in Neonatology providing consultative services to the other Medical Services, provides technical assistance with neonates.
- Participate in the on-call rota of the department for patient care and admission.
- Responds to emergencies to offer advice and actively participate with problems if required, related to his/her specialty.
- Observes and upholds the patients rights of security, confidentiality and privacy.
- Maintains appropriate records of all patients with accurate, timely legible completion of patients medical records.
- Consultant has a leadership role in the organization performance.
- Supervision of duties of assigned junior staff.
- Provides leadership for performance-improvement functions in the process of measurement, assessment and improvement of both clinical and non-clinical process as part of the Department Quality Plan.
- Active participation in Continued Medical Education (CME) through educational hospital activities (morning report meetings, grand rounds, clinical tutorials and seminars, journal club, radiology or clinico-pathological conferences). Also through National and International meetings, conferences and symposia.
- Active participation in training program related to his field and organization within the hospital for training of junior medical staff and in-service training for nursing staff and technicians.
- Continuous update of his knowledge in the medical field as well as continuously upgrading level of skill in his/her field of profession.
- Participation in committee meetings assigned to him/her (Quality Improvement, Infection Control, etc).
- Abides by Department Policies & Procedures, as well as hospital by-laws, Rules and Regulations.
- Performs other applicable tasks and duties assigned with the realm of the employee’s knowledge , skills and abilities
- Responsible to educate patients /families as per their needs and to implement their whole role regarding patient / family education process as mention in patient & family education policy and procedure including documentation in patient medical record.
- They are knowledgeable about their essential role in patient and family education.
- Involves the patient/families in plan of care and respects patients/families regarding their goals and choices of patient care.
- Provides health promotion and health teaching thru methods appropriate to a patients’ developmental level, learning needs, readiness and ability to learn, language preference, culture and situations.
- Allots time necessary to assess, plan implement and evaluate patient education provided to patients/families with appropriate documentation.
Head, Department of Paediatrics
- Senior Registrars, Registrars, Residents, Nurses and other paramedical staff assigned to him.
- Consultants of his/her specialty, of other specialties within the department, Consultant of other departments, Nursing staff, other health care professionals, patients and their families.
Saudi Board/Arab Board, American Board, or Canadian Fellowship, or MRCP, or Equivalent
- Registration in Saudi Medical Council and/or current license to practice medicine in Saudi Arabia.
Higher qualifications in his specialty, if any.
Minimum of three (3) years experience Post Qualification.
Current valid license to practice medicine in the area of his specialty.
COMPETENCIES & SKILLS:
- Demonstrates leadership and administrative skills.
- Fluent in verbal and written English.
- Exhibits professionalism and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Is knowledgeable of the Medical by-laws.
- Knowledge of computer application.