Job Posting Status is Expired Please note that the job is not published for job seekers and you will not receive any applicants due to the job status.
Consultant is responsible for providing care for his/her patients (inpatient and outpatient) maintaining a high-level of professional performance in accordance with:
- Evidence based medicine.
- Professional medical ethics and CBAHI / JCIA standards.
- Hospital medical by-laws.
- Laws of Ministry of Health in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and any other
applicable regulations according to the departmental quality plan.
Providing effective leadership of the department maintaining an appropriate quality plan using measurable performance improvement standards in the field of gastroenterology.
To provide specialized services to patients for the diagnosis and management of diseases of the gastrointestinal system. Responsibilities are divided between outpatient G.I. Clinic and Endoscopy Unit and the inpatient services.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures through his actions, either directly or indirectly, that a superior quality of medical treatment, compassion and understanding is given to every patient served at the NMC Hospitals and Clinics.
- Provides patient care within the parameters of their professional competence as reflected in the scope of their clinical privileges for both in-patients and out-patients.
- Practices within the framework of clinically relevant and scientifically valid standards, guidelines and criteria.
- Conducts regular ward rounds on his own and/or as a team to formulate a multi-disciplinary treatment plan.
- Performs diagnostic and therapeutic procedures on his/her patients within the range of the specialty.
- Assessment and referral of appropriate patients under his/her medical care to other appropriate medical facilities as well as accepting referrals of patients with medical problems in his/her field of specialty.
- Participate in the on-call rota of the department for patient care and admission.
- Responds to emergencies to offer advice and actively participate with problems if required, related to his/her specialty.
- Observes and upholds the patients rights of security, confidentiality and privacy.
- Maintains appropriate records of all patients with accurate, timely legible completion of patients medical records.
- Consultant has a leadership role in the organization performance.
- Supervision of duties of assigned junior staff.
- Provides leadership for performance-improvement functions in the process of measurement, assessment and improvement of both clinical and non-clinical process as part of the Departmental Quality Plan.
- Active participation in Continued Medical Education (C.M.E.) through educational hospital activities (morning report meetings, grand rounds, clinical tutorials and seminars, journal club, radiology or clinico-pathological conferences). Also, through National and International meetings, conferences and symposiums. Participation in review of literature, case reporting and clinical studies/research.
- Active participation in training program related to his field and organization within the hospital for training of junior medical staff and in-service training for nursing staff and technicians.
- Continuous update of his knowledge in the medical field as well as continuously upgrading level of skill in his/her field of profession.
- Participation in committee meetings assigned to him/her (Quality Improvement, Infection Control)
- Abides by Department Policies and Procedures, as well as hospital by-laws, Rules and Regulations.
- Responsible to educate patients /families as per their needs and to implement their whole role regarding patient / family education process as mention in patient & family education policy and procedure including documentation in patient medical record.
- They are knowledgeable about their essential role in patient and family education.
- Involves the patient/families in plan of care and respects patients/families regarding their goals and choices of patient care.
- Provides health promotion and health teaching thru methods appropriate to a patients’ developmental level, learning needs, readiness and ability to learn, language preference, culture and situations.
- Allots time necessary to assess, plan implement and evaluate patient education provided to patients/families with appropriate documentation.
- To carry out any other assignments as directed by Hospital Administration and/or the department head and within the realm of his knowledge, skills and abilities.
· Head, Department of Internal Medicine
· Liases with:
Consultants of his/her specialty, of other specialties within the department, Consultant of other departments, Nursing staff, other health care professionals, patients and their families.
- Senior Registrars, Registrars, Residents, Nurses and other paramedical staff assigned to him.
A minimum of:
- EDUCATION :
Saudi Board / American Board / Canadian Fellowship, or MRCP or Equivalent
- Minimum five (5) years experience Post Qualification
- Current license to practice medicine in the permanent place of residence.
- Registration in Saudi Commission for Health Specialties and/or Current license to practice medicine in Saudi Arabia.
· Additional experience in a sub-specialty
· Academic affiliation.
Competencies & skills
· Demonstrates leadership and administrative skills.
· Fluent in spoken and written English.
· Communication in spoken Arabic is desirable.
· Exhibits professionalism and excellent interpersonal communication skills.
· Is knowledgeable of the Medical by-laws.